Genealogy Journeys and Heritage Vacations
Who said time travel was not possible?
A vacation to explore your ancestral roots is an exciting trend and “destination past” is catching on in a big way. Modern genealogy buffs are setting off for – far off distant shores – by the dozens and there is no shortage of options from which to choose.
Whether you are the type who prefers to plan your own travel, someone who would rather sign up for an all-inclusive package or a social soul with a preference for a Family Tree Tour, you are sure to find what you are looking for.
Just look to the numerous travel organizations specializing in genealogy vacations for help, they will be more than happy to offer their assistance.
- Family Tree Tours has just released their line up of 2012 tours with five fantastic destinations.
- European Focus allows you to set your own schedule and destination. They take care of the travel details, including making advanced contact with pastors, archivists and local historians.
Maybe you have a precise destination in mind. No worries, you can book your trip from among a number of country or county-specific family tree travel companies across the globe.
Family Tree in a Suitcase
Have you plotted a course for your heritage adventure? If you have, it is essential to spend some time planning in order to make the most of your trip, particularly if you are going to travel independently.
Once you have decided on the type of trip you want to take, it is time to assess what you need to accomplish. Here are some things to think about… just to get you started.
Preparing for your Genealogy Journey:
- Have you decided what branch of your family or ancestor to focus on?
- Are you familiar with your destinations record sources?
- Have you checked out the official web page(s) for your destination?
- Do you know and have you recorded the contact information for:
- county courthouses
- record repositories
What about the churches or cemeteries you wish to visit, do you know their hours?
There is always much to do in preparation for any kind of travel; however combining a vacation with genealogy research takes a little extra consideration. Do not get caught without needed research tools so far from home.
Join us on the forums: Genealogy News and Events for your Genealogy Journey Planner and list of Family Tree travel essentials.
Image credit: Suzann_04 Via Photobucket